Friday, April 06, 2012

Guess Where I've Been...

Do you ever take a break from doing laundry?

Well, I didn't plan on it... it's just that every time I thought about doing a load of laundry I always came to the conclusion that I wasn't feeling like it.  I went with that feeling for a little too long... and suddenly  1.5 weeks went by and I found myself at a crossroad.  Either get myself down to the basement and tackle the mountain of laundry-- or drive straight to Walmart and buy new socks and undies for everyone in the family.

I opted to do laundry.

I've decided to not be embarrassed about my self initiated holiday from laundry-- instead I'm looking at the positives of the situation... such as:

  • I was forced to wear the clothes in the back of my closet because all of my fav's were dirty-- turns out I have more clothes than I thought
  • Yesterday I was at home ALL day-- didn't leave-- but I wore my super cute pink jeans because they were the only clean pair of pants left.  No sweatpants for me.  Turns out pink jeans made for a happy kind of day...  Bet you didn't know that!
  • For the first time ever my tiny closet felt spacious-- because so many of my clothes were sitting in the laundry room downstairs...
  • Caleb ran out of pants (ALL of his jeans and sweatpants were dirty) so yesterday he was forced to wear shorts.  They were way too short-- and I now know that he needs new shorts for summer-- I wouldn't have known this if I hadn't been on laundry strike.  So really-- my laundry strike was more like wardrobe research-- not laziness.
So as you can imagine-- I spent a whole lot of time in my laundry room-- sorting clothes, doing hand washing, soaking all my kid's stained items (thank goodness for oxyclean) and shuffling load after load.

I would love to have a gorgeous, light filled, laundry room one day-- of course I probably don't deserve one because I apparently don't spend enough time there-- but yesterday I wish I could have been spending my day in this gorgeous laundry room.  It's bright, clean, fresh, simple, and has a few pretty accessories that I love.









Kelly Deck Design via The Globe and Mail photography by Barry Calhoun

Anyhow-- three loads into yesterday's laundry marathon I ran out of laundry detergent.  Can you guess what I'll be doing today?

And while today is pretty much a normal day (the kids still got up way too early, Doug's at work, and I'm doing laundry) it's a reflective day for me-- I'm reflecting on Christ's sacrifice... and on his great great love for me-- for us.  "But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

4 comments:

McKae @ Kaes Corner Design said...

Ah this gorgeous! I might actually enjoy doing laundry if I had somewhere like to do it in! Great blog!

Trev and Rebekah said...

Personally laundry is my favorite house chore. I'd do that chore any day over dishes, dusting, etc.

Jordin- I Love That! said...

Your laundry room is amazing!! I would spend all day there too. New to your blog and love it! Have a good Easter weekend!
Jordin

Kelsie-Lynn said...

I also had a week and a bit off of laundry duty (but because I was sick still it was great) and many of those items on your positive lists happened at our house too :) Alexis actually wore a skirt at home the other day because all her pants were dirty!! She didn't mind at all :) I also agree if my laundry room looked like that I believe (or tell myself) that I would be much more excited about doing laundry!