Thursday, May 26, 2011

Oops... I did it again.

I got a little bored yesterday.  Then I saw this.



Before I knew what was happening I had pulled out a pair of scissors and was heading for my closet.  As soon as the kids were down for their afternoon naps I started ripping things apart with the need to slice and dice!

I seem to have a problem.  When inspired... I can't sit still.  All I think about is... "Could it really be that easy?"  "Could I possibly create this too?"  and of course... "I can make that for a FRACTION of what it would cost to buy new at the store."  Classic.  Totally sound like my mom again with the last one.

But honestly, the gal who came up with this idea is a genius.  I almost shed a tear when I read that she had re-purposed one of her old shirts to make this little skirt for her daughter.  I'm so down with that (remember those headbands I made for Eme?  She's still wearing them!!)

So, I followed her skirt making tutorial... and it worked!  It was way easier than I thought it would be.  And by the time the kids were waking up from their naps, I had made this.


Honestly... this skirt is waaaay cuter than the shirt was before.  Today I attempted to get a decent picture of Eme modeling her new skirt.  Here's the first one.  Turns out she didn't appreciate being put on the floor.


So I resorted to the mirror so that I could hold her while attempting to snap a picture.  Again... not too successful.  Turns out she cared more about the camera than her new skirt.



And then my arm got tired and my camera ran out of batteries.  The end.

Anyhow... the skirt is cute... it fits her perfectly... it's easy to make... and it probably only cost me $0.10 to make (I needed some elastic for the waistband).  Totally worth a try folks!

11 comments:

Gina said...

That is too adorable! I saw a tutorial along the same lines to make sweatpants for boys and as soon as I can find my sewing maching in the moutain of yet-to-be-unpacked stuff, I'm going to try it!

Elissa said...

Gina... could you send me the link for the sweatpants tutorial? I was just thinking that I need to make something for Caleb!!

kelly ens said...

WOW, that is cute!!!!! even for someone who will never sew, it's a fantastic little project!

Carol said...

You are amazing not only that you can do these things, but that you tackle them right away. I am too much of a procrastinator or I "think about it too much", to ever actually get many projects done!

Melissa said...

Awesome! I adore the skirt! Your craftiness is incredible!

Team AC said...

that is so cute!! Love it!

~Corinna

Lindsay said...

wow! why do you not have an etsy store yet?!?

Dianne said...

Emerson is ADORABLE! I ran into this last year... been meaning to make this! guess what i'm doing today?!
thanks for the inspiration! and the last post, recovering the chair. WOW! so impressed! that is incredible, you should be so impressed with your self :)

tan said...

I think you are amazing!! You can do anything. And that little skirt is SO cute...and so is the little girl wearing it:) I wish I knew how to sew, but I don't even have a sewing machine, maybe one day!! Thanks for blogging, I always enjoy reading what you've been us to.

Bonnie said...

Total cuteness.

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

cute skirt and very adorably cute baby girl:)