Monday, September 13, 2010

You know you've been at home too long when...


1.  Going to a baby shower means that not one, but two out of the ordinary shower activities take place... you go to a party for a baby and you actually take a shower so that you can go out in public and look respectable.

2.  You constantly catch yourself humming/singing songs from Dora, Diego, Mighty Machines, and Bob the Builder.  Then you dream about them.  (btw... why on earth do Dora and Diego both have to shout everything they say instead of just talking normally?  The shouting is beginning to drive me crazy, and also began to bother my mom after three weeks in this household)

3.  You begin to find yourself thinking... "wouldn't it be fun to go to work today?  I could get dressed up and out of the house... and oh my goodness... you actually get a lunch break AND coffee breaks!"

4.  The highlight of the morning is the mail man delivering a stack of bills and flyers... and the highlight of the weeks is the garbage truck picking up our trash-- how exciting that is in our household.  Today was extra special since the yard waste removal truck came too.  Much screaming, pointing, and jumping took place at the front window.

5.  Your ipod/iphone is not used to communicate with the outside world and is not used for listening to music.  No.  It's primary task is to occupy your three year old.  I'm pretty sure Caleb knows his way around that thing better than I do.  And by the way, if any of you receive or have received a really weird email from us it is likely not a virus, it could be from Doug it's probably not from Doug, it's not from me, Caleb has been known to send emails out a time or two from the ipod.  I've had a few emails come back to my inbox undelivered since the email address looked something like this: adlfkjetbej1039ggdfjnhmdld.

6.  In your mind, the most genius creation known to man is the Starbucks drive thru.  Both kids are tied down buckled in and you have a few moments of peace to order your coffee without arms full of bags, a carseat, and a three year old who is attempting to pull every $10 ceramic mug off the shelf for inspection.  Then you have a few minutes to enjoy the first few sips of coffee as you drive... and if you're smart, you'll take the long way home or just do a few extra laps around the block.

Well folks, consider this a brief glimpse into what life is like around here.  I love it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally relate to every one of these!! Especially #5. Joel knows more about our iPod than I do. And sometimes he will randomly wake up at night and ask "where's the aPod?" (he calls it an aPod). We are having trouble breaking him of this habit ;0)

Lisa Dyck

{ as we know it } said...

Haha the garbage truck is a big hit on Wednesdays at this house too. And I'm glad to hear my child isn't the only one who is fluent at the iPod! People look at me like I'm crazy when I pull it out at the grocery store so Benj can play 'racing' while I shop!

KDees said...

I can relate too - the life of a mom!!!

Trev and Rebekah said...

I find I get giddy about mail and check it many once too many almost daily. It's like I'm at Bethany all over again waiting for mail to come. :0) Your posts make me smile. You up for hanging out later this week or next?

Anonymous said...

number 6 is my favorite... I only ever go to the Sumas or Mt. Lehman Starbucks now.

Sharon